Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Homemade Crockpot Yogurt


Isn't that awesome? This is actually my crockpot with actual yogurt in it! I was SO excited that it worked. Especially since it failed the first time, but now I know why!

1. Pour ONLY milk into crockpot. Low for 2 hours 45 mins.
2. Turn OFF and let sit for 3 hours.
3. Take starter yogurt out of fridge to get to room temp if you choose, but don't have to.
4. When timer goes off, put 1 cup of starter yogurt in a bowl with some milk FROM THE CROCKPOT.
     Mix it thoroughly with a whisk. Then add all of it into the crockpot and mix thoroughly. *(this is why mine
     was all weird the first time I made it! Didn't mix in small amount first, or well enough in the big pot)
5. Lid on. Wrap whole thing in blankets for next 10 hours. Wha-la! Yogurt!

Lukas whooped for joy when he saw that it worked. We learned vocabulary like cultures, acidophilus, bacteria, as well as self-reliant and preservatives.

No comments: