Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Chicken A La King

This is a super high fat recipe. If I made it again I think I'd maybe use more milk and flour to thicken it and cut the butter by at least half. This is the original recipe.

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup chopped celery
1 (4 oz) can mushrooms or 1/4 lb. fresh sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups diced cooked chicken
1 cup milk
1/4 cup chopped pimento, if desired
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
Cooked rice
slivered almonds, for garnish
Melt butter or margarine in a large skillet. Add celery and mushrooms. Saute until tender. Blend in flour and let simmer 1 minute. Slowly add chicken broth. Cook about 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly until thick. add chicken, milk , pimento, and parsley flakes. Simmer 10 minutes. Serve over hot cooked rice or baked puff pastry shells. Garnish with almonds. Makes 6 servings. ( I think I doubled it for the 8 of us).

No comments: